25 September, 1799
The battle of Zürich was the end of the Russian ambitions in Switzerland, undoing all of the great victories Suvarov had broght to the allies earlier in the year and occuring so late in the year that the snowy disaster of the Russian retreat through the alps that cemented the survival of the French republic.
Suvarov had yet to arrive with his combined force to assist Rimsky Korsalkov who had strung his army out along the Limmate river relying on having blown the bridges to prevent the French crossings. However this did not deter Massena who had arrived with 2 bridging trains and defeated the Russians piecemeal.
Note that this is a large (12') table in full scale required to play this game. Should you need to reduce the size of the table it is recommended that you remove space from the left hand side.
- This is a basic game of 5 turns.
- Weather is normal
- The river Limmat is consider rough going for infantry and cavalry.
- Artillery must cross the Limmat on a pontoon bridge
- French break at 5
- Russians break at 4
- Gorchakov is north of the Limmat beside Zürich
- Durasov is centred around Höngg north of the Limmat. His brigades may be placed out of command if desired.
- Sacken and Godavich are off table. They may enter the table south of Zürich on any pulse that CPs are spent on them.
- Russians must deploy first due to thier almost total lack of information of the whereabouts of the French
- Mortier to the right of the mountain on the south of the table
- Remainder of the army to the left of the mountain.
Rimsky - Korsakov (C in C) Poor
- G1 Tuchkovs Infantry Trained 7SP SK1
- G2 Tuchkovs Grenadiers Elite 6SP SK0
- G3 Lykoshin Hussars Elite 6SP
- G4 Essens Infantry 7SP Veteran SK1
- G5 Schlepev Dragoons Veteran 5SP
- G6 Zurich Garrison (Ekaterinoslav Grenadiers) Elite 3SP
- D1 Markov (Grenadiers and Musketeers) Veteran 9SP
- D2 Pushchin Trained 7SP SK1
- D3 Cossacks Raw 6SP SK2
- D4 1 6lb Foot battery
- S1 Razumovsky and Koslov Trained 8SP SK1
- S2 Prhibyshevsky and Izmailov 8SP SK1
- GC1 Cuirassiers Elite 7SP
- GC2 Dragoons Veteran 6SP
- GC3 6lb Horse Battery
- GC4 6lb Horse Battery
Massena (C in C) Great
4th Division Mortier 2/5" (Valour,Aggressive)
- 4/1 Drouet Veteran 9SP MX SK2
- 4/2 50e Ligne Veteran 7SP MX SK2
- 4/3 108e Ligne Veteran 6SP MX SK2
5th Division Lorge 3/9"
- 5/1 37e Ligne Veteran 6SP SK2
- 5/2 57e Grenadiers Veteran 5SP SK2
- 5/3 Cavalry (Dragoons and Hussars) Veteran 5SP
- 5/4 Bontemps Veteran 9SP SK2
- 5/5 57e Ligne Veteran 6SP SK2
- 5/6 100e Ligne Veteran 6SP SK2
- 5/7 1eme Legérè Veteran 5SP SK2
- 5/8 2e Ligne Veteran 7SP SK2
- 5/9 Pontoon Company
6th Division Ménard 3/4"
- 6/1 103e Ligne Veteran 7SP MX SK2
- 6/2 46e and 53e Ligne Veteran 8SP MX SK2
- 6/3 Pontoon Troops
- 6/4 1 6lb foot battery
Reserve Division Klein 3/2"
- R1 102e Ligne Veteran 9SP MX SK2
- R2 Grenadiers Elite 6SP MX SK2